The Wandering Lake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Try Not to Drown

3 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Try Not to Drown Empty Try Not to Drown

Post  FATE Tue 19 Oct 2010, 4:01 pm

There is little dry land to be hand. Rain falls steadily from the sky, muddying the ground. The puddle Alyssa landed in is more of a lake, and there's a second like it far to her right. Other puddles dot the scarce soil.

Stella takes to the water easily and retrieves Alyssa's umbrella, playing with it in the lake before dragging it to the dirt. Thunder cracks overhead, temporarily distracting the creature.

It looks behind it, between trees waving in a light wind. It knows that further down the muddy path there's a bridge, which will pull them away from the unprotected earth. The other way leads to flooded swamps. In the second lake, there's a shoddy, but working, boat, big enough for one person.
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Try Not to Drown Empty Re: Try Not to Drown

Post  Alyssa Tue 19 Oct 2010, 4:37 pm

Alyssa had given up on finding dry wood. There wasn't anything dry. Alyssa gave Stella an appreciative pat on the head when it retrieved her umbrella for her. She had gotten it in Japan and was kind of attached to it. It wasn't one of those convenient umbrellas that folded small enough to fit into a bag, which was annoying at times, but on the other hand it was better at keeping you dry, being a full size umbrella. Alyssa shook out the water from the umbrella and held it over her and Stella.

"I guess we should try to find some shelter," Alyssa sighed.

Stella clicked her tongue and darted towards a muddy path, or, that's at least what it looked like. Alyssa decided to follow her friend. It wasn't long before a bridge came into site. Alyssa felt a little relieved. A bridge meant someone must have built it, which meant people. Alyssa ran to the bridge and stopped to take a rest. Her shoes were muddy and thoroughly soaked as were her clothes. Stella landed on her shoulder and looked at her with an expression that seemed to say, "Now what?"

"I wish I knew," Alyssa sighed.
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Tue 19 Oct 2010, 7:07 pm

If Alyssa follows the bridge, she'll come onto a shanty village.

Try Not to Drown 51266418

She has a few options.

She could talk to someone.
a.)A man is leaning against the railing outside a store, smoking a short cigar.
b.)Inside the store, a dark-haired man of about 27 is polishing a glass. He's frowning.
c.) Should Alyssa continue down the bridge, she'll find two middle-aged woman talking under an eave.

Alyssa can continue on her own and scout the place out, finding another person to speak to or finding other means for leaving/information.

FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Tue 19 Oct 2010, 7:31 pm

Alyssa continued down the bridge. Then, up ahead she saw buildings. Alyssa had never been this happy to see buildings before. She quickened her pace. A few people were standing outside. Closest to her were women conversing with one another under an eave.

Alyssa stepped under the eave, folded her umbrella, then in a shy voice asked, "Excuse, but could you tell me where I am?"
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Tue 19 Oct 2010, 9:12 pm

The two women, dressed as finely as one could be in the weather, stopped their chittering and turned toward Alyssa, giving her identical stares that involved the narrowing of the eyes and raising of the right eyebrow. The one in green cleared her throat; the one in pink adjusted her collar.

"Where else would you be?" the woman in pink asked. Her dark hair peeked from under her tight hat in a messy fashion.

The green woman snickered.

The woman in pink turned back to her hot drink, but after a moment turned back to Alyssa. "Dearest, you're serious. You know, women who drink are reallyunnatractive."

The other woman snickered, then tapped her lips with her napkin. "You're in Dampen, dear. There's a bottler 'round the bend if you need to message someone to... get you."

The women exchanged smiles.
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Tue 19 Oct 2010, 9:26 pm

"Um, thanks," Alyssa managed.

She trudged back out into the rain without bothering to put her umbrella up, hoping Stella wouldn't mind. Right now she was feeling very overwhelmed but, darn it, she was not going to cry. There was a man outside of what looked like a store smoking a cigar. He looked a little scary so she decided to go inside the store and try her luck.

She walked in, glad to be out of the rain. Just inside there was a man with black hair polishing a glass. He had a slight frown on his face. Alyssa hesitated, maybe he wasn't the best person to ask, but she would look stupid if she just walked out.

"Excuse me," Alyssa asked, "I was wondering if you could help me."
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Wed 20 Oct 2010, 9:32 am

Stella is nowhere to be found.

The store seems to be some sort of glass shop. Pans, mugs, vases, etc. line its short walls.

The man replies, "Sale on drinking glasses, two for an igle. Good deal, since you know how bellows run around here." He set down the glass in his hand. "Out of shot glasses until tomorrow."
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Wed 20 Oct 2010, 12:26 pm

Igle? Whatever that was Alyssa did not have that in her wallet. Everything in the store looked expensive. Even if she happened to have the right currency she was pretty sure she couldn't afford it. Alyssa noticed that Stella was gone. Maybe that was a good thing. Alyssa could imagine Stella flying into something and breaking it, leaving her with no way to pay for it. Though, she hoped that Stella was just waiting outside. Alyssa liked someone to talk to, even if Stella was just a...what was she exactly.

"Out of shot glasses?" Alyssa decided she didn't want to ask him after all, "I guess I'll just come back tomorrow. Thank you."

Alyssa turned to leave. Just as she reached for the door handle, Alyssa noticed it was moving towards her. Before Alyssa could react the door hit her square in the face. The next thing she knew she was sitting on the ground with a throbbing head.

"Itai..." Alyssa rubbed her forehead hoping that it wasn't bleeding.

The man who had been standing outside smoking was now standing in the doorway.
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Wed 20 Oct 2010, 2:51 pm

"Sorry Miss," he said, elongated the vowels in his speech. He offered a hand and picked her up with a quick burst of strength. He smelled like tobacco, but sweeter. "Told ja we need a window in that door."

The man behind the counter glanced up, wiping down an empty bottle. "Yeah yeah. You gonna pay for it?"

"Got plenty of glass here," he said with a big grin. He gave Alyssa a second glance. "You from the Noess region, girl? I hear the she-fellow up there wear the blue pants on occasion."

He sniffed, coughed, and spat into a jar in the corner.
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Wed 20 Oct 2010, 3:13 pm

Alyssa took his hand and almost lost her balance with how quickly he pulled her up, "That's okay, I wasn't really watching where I was going."

The man had seemed scary at first, but maybe she had just been judging him by his appearance.

"You from the Noess region, girl? I hear the she-fellow up there wear the blue pants on occasion."

"Blue pants?" She waited until he was done spitting what she assumed to be tabacco then said, "Oh, jeans. No, actually I'm from Indiana, but I'm going to school in Utah. Those are both in America, but..."-Alyssa hesitated-"You see I'm lost. I don't know how I wound up here, well, I was walking, and then I somehow ended up falling into a lake..."

Alyssa trailed off realizing how ridiculous she was sounding.
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Thu 21 Oct 2010, 11:02 am

The older man and the clerk exchanged odd looks with each other. Finally, clearing his throat, the man said, "You heard of Merica, Stupe?"

He shook his head. "Across the ocean, maybe? That's a long ways to go. No one crosses that thing."

The old man shrugged, then offered a hand. "Name's Nacaroy, just call me Roy. Your husband in the army or something?" he looked back to Stupe. "Don't tell me Truve's recruiting from across the damn expanse, now. This war ain't ever gonna end."
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Thu 21 Oct 2010, 11:18 am

"Nice to meet you, I'm Alyssa," her voice was a little shaky.

Did they think she was crazy? She hoped not. But, then again, Alyssa wouldn't blame them. She could lie about having a husband to gain back some credibility, but that wouldn't look good if they found out otherwise.

So instead she said, "I'm not married, but I am a far way off from my family. I haven't seen them for two months now."

Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Thu 21 Oct 2010, 11:30 am

"Two months?" Roy repeated. "That's a bit o' time. Wish I could help ya, but no one sails that far. Barely anyone gets out of this cursed land unless it's for the war. That's the only reason folks enlist, you know."

The clerk rolled his eyes.

Roy checked his pockets, then looked again at Alyssa. "Ain't proper or none to venture out with a woman, but I'm heading up to Loosh if you'd like the lift. Ferry is so darned tempermental these days. Think mine is the only boat going anywhere and nowhere. Think the Rain's lightening up a bit. Won't even charge."
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Thu 21 Oct 2010, 1:00 pm

Alyssa had no idea where Loosh was, but she jumped at the chance to get away from here.

"Really? Thank you so much! I will find some way to repay you if I can."

Alyssa was pretty sure anywhere was better than here. "When do we leave?"
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Thu 21 Oct 2010, 1:23 pm

Roy has the clerk fill a waterbottle for him, and he motions Alyssa to follow him out. a Badge on the shoulder of his jacket shows a boat and sail, indicating his profession, should Alyssa have doubts about following a stranger out.

The man leads Alyssa through the tiny village, buildings connected together with covered bridges. Rivers of all depths and sizes flow in off directions underfoot, most the color of mud. Alyssa sees the post office the two earlier women mentioned.

Roy tips his hat to a passerby, who does the same to Alyssa. They go down a ramp to a small, covered boat. It has no sail, but oars and what looks like a pedal-powered propeller. It seems to fit about six people comfortable. Roy puts one foot on the boat, readying it for sail.

"Best to leave now before the main river gets too swollen. The faster, the better," Roy says.

However, across a far bridge, Alyssa catches sight of Stella, flapping its purple wings about the branches of a tree.
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Thu 21 Oct 2010, 2:09 pm

Alyssa followed Roy out the door. She didn't feel scared about not knowing where she was going to end up. Mostly because she had accepted the fact that she was here and had to make the best of things. Alyssa clothes were still soaked but she felt like it would be useless trying to dry them in this place. Nevertheless, Alyssa hated being wet and cold like this. Alyssa was grateful for the covered bridges though; it made things a little less miserable.

Before heading down a ramp the man, Roy, tipped his hat to someone passing by. Without thinking, thanks to her time spent in Japan, Alyssa gives a slight bow to the passerby. Down the ramp is a boat and Roy begins to get it ready to sail.

"Best to leave now before the main river gets too swollen. The faster, the better," Roy says.

Then Alyssa spotted Stella. Something inside her didn't want to leave the creature here.

"I'll be right back, I need to get my friend," Alyssa dropped her umbrella and backpack.

Last edited by Alyssa on Thu 21 Oct 2010, 7:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Thu 21 Oct 2010, 5:53 pm

{{FATE plays rewind!!!}}

"I'll be right back, I need to get my friend."

"Hold on, missy," Roy said, holding the boat steady as waves passed underneath. He didn't see anyone nearby. "We've got to leave now--look, water's rising fast. Got to get on the main stream before the ramp floods out."

Meanwhile, Stella disappears behind the tree branches.

FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Thu 21 Oct 2010, 7:38 pm

Alyssa hadn't realized how quick they had to leave. She stood there for a few seconds, torn. Then she picked up her things from the deck and climbed dejectedly into the boat. Maybe this was Stella's home and she didn't want to leave. Alyssa looked back to see if she could see Stella, but couldn't.

"I guess she'll follow if she wants to," Alyssa said mostly to herself.

Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Fri 22 Oct 2010, 9:24 am

((Options, options! Your story now changes according to your decision!))

Roy sees that everything is ready, and pushes off the ramp. The boat ride is rocky at first, and the vessel feels like it's going to capsize. Fortunately, once hitting the main river, the ride smooths out.

Roy doesn't chat during the ride--it's too noisy. The rain lets up a little, but the rushing waters drown out normal conversation. All of Tempa looks the same--half-submerged trees, rain, gloomy skies. There are a few patches where the earth rises above the water line. For a long time, there is no other civilization, only the occasional piece of torn rubbish in the water.

After about half an hour, another city comes into town. This one is bigger than the last, and a little cleaner looking. It's raised above the waters with eaves over the walkways. This place has a lot more people. Upon a closer look, it seems this side of the city is made of small shops. It may remind Alyssa of Chinatown.

Roy docks next to several boats similar to his. "Well, this is the stop. Know your way around?"
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Fri 22 Oct 2010, 11:20 am

Alyssa was bad at making split second decisions. The whole entire trip she was second guessing her decision. Stella hadn't followed. Would Alyssa ever see her again? She almost felt as if she had betrayed Stella by leaving her behind. Should she try and find a way back to Dampen? Would Stella even be there?

Alyssa didn't feel like talking and was glad that Roy seemed likewise. Alyssa stared out at the water the entire way, hoping to see Stella. Alyssa wasn't sure how much time had passed, but eventually a large city came into view. It kind of reminded her of the Chinatown in Yokohama.

"Well, this is the stop. Know your way around?"

"No, but I'll manage," Alyssa said hoping she sounded more confident than she was feeling, "Thank you."

(Assuming Roy has nothing else to say)

Alyssa left the dock and began wandering through the streets of Chinatown (she had forgotten the name). Alyssa really had no game plan, except to think of one. She decided first to find somewhere where she could sit down and think. After aimlessly wandering through the "streets" Alyssa found a couple of benches and sat down on one that was unoccupied.

Luckily before she had...fallen into this place Alyssa had packed a bento. She took off her backpack, set it on the ground before her, and opened it up to see what was salvageable. All of her notebooks, paper, and books were ruined. She would have to find somewhere to dispose of them. Alyssa found her bento. The furoshiki was soaked, but she unwrapped it to find that that her bento box was unharmed. Alyssa's stomach rumbled.

While eating her slightly damp, and cold lunch of rice and chicken, Alyssa began thinking out a plan. She had no idea where to go from here. But maybe Stella was still in Dampen. If Alyssa could find a way back she could go looking for her. Alyssa doubted she would find another free boat ride, but if she could find out how much it cost maybe she could sell some of her things so she could buy a ticket.

Alyssa repacked her bento, leaving half of it for later, and headed back towards the docks.
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Fri 22 Oct 2010, 11:44 am

As Alyssa walks, different merchants call out to her, trying to sell or trade their wares to her. Many of them sell clothes native to the country. Others sell food, jewelry, and rain gear. With so many shops, if Alyssa needed to find something, she certainly could. However, with no native money, she'd have to trade. Alyssa will have to take an inventory of anything she could sell, should she want new merchandise at this time.

A booth to the left has a map on display. if Alyssa sees it, she'll gain information about where she is.

Two men and one woman sit under the eaves at the docks, all taking their own lunch breaks. The two men talk idly with one another. The woman sits quietly on her own.
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Fri 22 Oct 2010, 11:49 am

Alyssa saw one woman sitting by herself and decided to approach her.

"Excuse me, do you have a moment?" Alyssa asked, "I'm trying to find my way back to Dampen."
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:21 pm

The woman looked up from her glass, which had steam billowing from the lip. "You're at the wrong dock," she said, taking note of Alyssa's strange appearance. "Rivers only flow one way--you'll have to catch a rid on the loop if you want to go north, and the rivers are high right now." she offered a smile, albeit a tired one. "Try the Southend docks and see if you can find a boater there. He can give you a better estimate than I. Don't let him charge more than three igles, mind you."
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:29 pm

"Thank you very much," Alyssa smiled, glad she was already receiving help, "and do you know where I can trade for money?"

(If she does know, assume I will thank her, then go study the map that I passed earlier.)
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:43 pm

The woman blinked a few times before answering. She could tell Alyssa was foreign, especially by the accent.

"Depends on what you want to trade," she said carefully. "Most vendors around the city will trade money for decent items--just find a shopkeeper who specializes in the items you're wishing to sell."

When Alyssa goes to the map, she learns the country she's in is called Tempa, on the continent of Gnale.

((Lucky you I'm having technical difficulties, so you get the whole map.))

Try Not to Drown Map

She is located in Loosh, a city center-west of the country, approximately 213 miles from Iama.

The layout of the city is a large S.

{{Alyssa gains knowledge of Loosh Locations!}}
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: