The Wandering Lake
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Steel Magic

5 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Steel Magic - Page 4 Empty Re: Steel Magic

Post  FATE Wed 20 Jul 2011, 2:12 pm

Because Whitney did not make a conscious effort to heal Artellan he is still wounded. Though, since she is exhausted some of the pain is transferred to Whitney.

A light mist hugs the ground and trees around them making it hard to see farther than a few feet. Ahead of them, though, a path seems to open up deeper into the forest.

Whitney can hear the cries of the animals that live in the forest. Most of them sound unfamiliar and won't be able to identify what kind of animal or even how close or far away they are. If Whitney looks hard enough she may be able to see glimpses of animals scurrying through the trees or the reflections of eyes through the mist.
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Whit Wed 20 Jul 2011, 2:21 pm

((I intended that to be a conscious effort (was it conscious effort when she took the poison from the tree?). Whit figures he's not just going to let her heal him so she does it all sneakily when he is trying to help her up.))

Whitney can hear the cries of the animals that live in the forest. Most of them sound unfamiliar and won't be able to identify what kind of animal or even how close or far away they are. If Whitney looks hard enough she may be able to see glimpses of animals scurrying through the trees or the reflections of eyes through the mist.

Whit sticks close to Artellen, the mists and the animals running around were making her nervous. This whole place seemed to have that effect. Things had been after her since she'd been here. Ending that train of thought, she tried to focus just on following her friend.
Whit
Whit

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Wed 20 Jul 2011, 11:53 pm

FATE Revision:

Upon taking Artellen's hand her body begins to take on his injuries. First, exhaustion creeps into her bones followed by a wave of pain. Her left arm feels like it is burning from the inside and a sharp pain throbs on her right forearm where a gash is slowly forming. Blood flows steadily from the wound. Whitney will feel light headed and find it hard to concentrate with the pain.

At first Artellen didn't realize what had happened. He felt a lot better than he had in a long time. Perhaps it was just his body going into shock, or maybe the blood loss. When he reached the forest floor he rolled up his right sleeve to check his wound. His arm was smooth with no sign that he had been injured, aside from the dried blood. How could that be?

Artellen turned and faced Whitney and found his answer. She had taken on his wounds. He knew that as one of the Four she possessed such power but he never imagined she would use it on him.

"Why did you do this," his voice was gentle, "I could have managed on my own."

Artellen took Whitney's right arm and examined the wound. It was deep and the blood flowed in a steady stream. Without a word he took off his shirt and tore it into strips. The first two he tied around the wound quickly absorbed the blood, but the third stayed mostly clean with only a little blood soaking through. He stashed the clean strips of cloth in his pocket to use later.

"I think the wound should be able to close on it's own now," pointing to her left arm he said, "I wish there was something I could do for that but I don't know much about magic."

He grimaced a little at the memory of when the corvi had struck him with some sort of magic.

"Can you walk? I think that way is our best chance," Artellen motioned towards where the mist seemed to part.

Steel Magic - Page 4 385b77dfe1130bddebd7e698f5697315-d3fy86c
Steel Magic - Page 4 Shrouded_by_codshanks
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Whit Sat 30 Jul 2011, 7:06 pm

Whit gritted her teeth as Artellen's pain entered her body. She tried not to let him see how much it hurt her. It would only make him feel worse.

"Why did you do this," his voice was gentle, "I could have managed on my own."

Whit shrugged and did not answer. She didn't know what to say and as the fatigue of taking Artellen's wounds on herself hit her she felt too weary to think out an acceptable response. It had partially been a practical decision to take Artellen's wound. If they encountered anything else dangerous, she knew that she was useless and she felt bad that he had been hurt defending her.

She sat down and allowed Artellen to look at the injury. She didn't want to bleed to death after all and the steady flow of blood had already soaked the sleeve of her top. She protested meekly as Artellen destroyed his shirt but, logically, she knew they didn't have anything else.

"I think the wound should be able to close on it's own now," pointing to her left arm he said, "I wish there was something I could do for that but I don't know much about magic."
"I'll be fine," Whit said forcing a smile to reassure him while inwardly worrying about the strong possibility of infection. She found herself wishing she had a bottle of rubbing alcohol or something even though she knew it would burn like crazy. She wondered briefly if drinking alcohol would have the same effect before Artellen interrupted her thoughts.

"Can you walk? I think that way is our best chance," Artellen motioned towards where the mist seemed to part.

"Yes," Whit replied getting back to her feet. She was already beginning to feel lightheaded. I just hope it won't take too long to get where ever we're going.
Whit
Whit

Back to top Go down

Post  Alyssa Thu 04 Aug 2011, 11:31 am

Artellen walked side by side with Whitney, keeping an eye on her in case her condition worsened. He had no idea where they were or how long it would take them to find a town or city. His knowledge of Inthe's geography was very limited. He wondered how Prince Tanira was faring back home and if the Queen would ever be able to return to her normal self. These thoughts ran circles in his mind but he didn't share his uncertainties with Whitney.

Mist clung to the trees around them making it hard to see more than a few feet ahead. Every once and awhile he would see movement out of the corner of his eye, but when he turned to look there was nothing there. Whitney seemed to be tiring quickly and just as he was thinking about whether or not to stop a clearing opened up before them. The trees around the clearing formed a perfect circle and thick, lush grass covered the forest floor. Mushrooms grew in patches around the edges and fruit grew on the trees. at the center was a clear pool of water, perhaps an underground spring.

"I think it's time to rest."

Artellen led Whitney to the side of the pool and sat down. He opened up his bag and took out the last of their rations: half a small loaf of bread, now stale, and one piece of dried meat. This wasn't going to last them. He laid the rations on the ground on top of a handkerchief and went over to the trees at the edge of the clearing. He picked one of the fruits and inspected it. It was pear shaped and white. By the feel and smell they seemed ripe enough to pick. Artellen picked an armful then returned to the spot by the pool, laying the fruit next to the rations.

"You should probably eat something," Artellen offered a fruit to Whitney and took one himself.
Alyssa
Alyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Tue 09 Aug 2011, 6:54 pm

Whit took a seat on the soft grass grateful for the rest, though she stubbornly wouldn't have asked for one. She accepted a pear from Artellen, rinsed it in the pool, and took a bite.

She tried to sit up straight and hide her fatigue, she didn't need Artellen fussing over her.
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Wed 10 Aug 2011, 1:39 am

The fruit was delicious and Artellen couldn't bring himself to stop eating it. He had never tasted anything like it before. The more he ate, the harder it was to stop eating it. When he had eaten the fruit down to the core he discarded it on the grass and reached for another one. Then he noticed a strange feeling overcome him. He felt exhausted despite the fact Whitney had restored his health and energy. All of a sudden he just wanted to lie down and sleep. But he still wanted to eat more fruit. Artellen lifted the fruit to his lips with difficulty. The fruit...Artellen realized it was too late.

"Whitney, don't..." Artellen fell over onto the lush grass, a deep sleep claiming his conscious.

The fruit has the same effect on Whitney. She falls forward onto the grass. The last thing Whitney sees is the water from the pool trickling towards her...

Steel Magic - Page 4 Lost_paradise_by_jerry8448-d3176bs

Whitney is standing by a small stream. Several small waterfalls gently cascade into the stream. Surrounding her are bright lights, almost like fireflies. She will notice that she doesn't feel tired anymore and that she is no longer carrying Artellen's wounds. Artellen is nowhere to be seen. Whitney will notice a white owl sitting atop a branch staring intently at her.

Steel Magic - Page 4 Snowy_owl_by_orestart-d3e0z2r
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Whit Wed 10 Aug 2011, 4:34 pm

The fruit has the same effect on Whitney. She falls forward onto the grass. The last thing Whitney sees is the water from the pool trickling towards her...

Whit stares numbly at the water as it comes closer to her. Sluggish thoughts slosh through her mind and she descends into darkness.

Whitney is standing by a small stream. Several small waterfalls gently cascade into the stream. Surrounding her are bright lights, almost like fireflies. She will notice that she doesn't feel tired anymore and that she is no longer carrying Artellen's wounds. Artellen is nowhere to be seen. Whitney will notice a white owl sitting atop a branch staring intently at her.

Whit examines her surroundings, enjoying the lights and the waterfall. The wounds have left her body. She looks around for Artellen but can't find him. Finally, her eyes rest on the owl meeting its gaze.
Whit
Whit

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:32 am

The owl nodded its head at her, "Whitney of the Four, it has been a long time. We all thought you had passed but he was convinced otherwise. We were surprised when he found you and brought you back."

The owl spread its wings and flew over to a branch that was more eye level with Whitney.

"Your powers have greatly diminished it seems."
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Whit Mon 05 Sep 2011, 9:57 am

Whit did her best to meet the owls gaze, though its big yellow eyes were disconcerting.

She listened to it speak. Something it said caught her attention.

"He? Who's he?" she asked the owl. She thought it would be a good idea to know who was taking such an interest in her and her powers.
Whit
Whit

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Thu 08 Sep 2011, 8:26 pm

"Prince Tray. He refused to give up even when he had doubts about whether you were still alive or not. Though when he found you Tamesis interfered and succeeded in trapping Tray in this place. We were very lucky that she didn't get a hold of you and that you were able to run into allies."
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Whit Sun 18 Sep 2011, 3:02 pm

Whit listened trying to filter though what the owl was telling her and figure out how it applied to their current situation.

After a few moments she finally responded, "That's why we're here. We've come to find Tray. Do you know where he is and how we can get him out of here?"
Whit
Whit

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Wed 05 Oct 2011, 7:36 am

"All I know is that he is at the heart of this forest. Getting there will be no easy task and getting out will be near impossible. People have been pushing magic away for years now, and as a result it has begun to retreat to this forest. The forest and the creatures living here do not take kindly to humans. Though, as one of the Four you may have a chance. Find Tray for he is your only hope."

The owl spread his wings and dropped from the branch. He dove straight towards Whitney and passed right through her as if he were nothing more than a breeze. He landed on a branch behind Whitney and folded his wings.

"My gift to you, Whitney of the Four."

Whitney will suddenly feel lightheaded. She falls forward into water.

Steel Magic - Page 4 31fd10f9f6e5897a667be4d72ec549df

"Whitney, that's suicide. I can't let you do it," Tray looked out the airship window trying to keep his composure.

"It's the only way. With all our powers combined I know we can stop it," Whitney stepped closer to Tray and put her hand on his shoulder.

He stood for a few minutes, silent. Then he turned and faced her, "But the Prophecy. Only one of the Four will be champion while the other three fall. ."

"I don't care about the prophecy anymore. They're my friends, even with all that's happened. People are dying and it's our fault. It's our responsibility to fix things."

Tray looked Whitney in the eyes. A prophecy was always right and no matter what you did there was no stopping it. But Whitney, she was one of the Four. Maybe she could change the outcome of the prophecy. Even though he knew this was a false hope, he held onto it. Yes, Whitney could change the prophecy, Tray lied to himself.

"Let me come with you," Tray said.

Whitney is submerged in water. If she stands she will find that the water is shallow enough to stand up in. Steel Magic - Page 4 This_land_of_mine_by_mikeshawphotography-d3grrnr

She is in a lake in a valley of what seems to be a small mountain range. Whitney can see the surrounding forest. From where she is standing the forest just seems like a normal forest. A stream flows away from the lake down into the forest. From the middle of the lake something breaks the surface, coughing and sputtering. It's Artellen. Once he catches his breath he swims to the shore opposite Whitney. He hasn't noticed her yet.

With the vivid memory of her and Tray, Whitney also remembers that Tray helped her and her friends when they first came to Gnale. She also remembers being separated from her friends for a while and during that time she was with Tray and that they became good friends. Though Whitney can't remember why she was separated from her friends.
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Whit Sat 22 Oct 2011, 9:47 am

Whit stood quickly, to avoid drowning in the water. She stood still, dripping, in the water.

Whit mused over what the owl had told her. She couldn't help but repeat to herself the more dire phrases, Getting out nearly impossible. Creatures here don't take kindly to humans. And the less dire but seemingly important, Find Tray for he is your only hope.

The owl had shown her a memory with Tray. She had trusted him back then but her present self was still conflicted. She did feel fairly sure on one point, they needed to find him.

Whit blinked the water out of her eyes and begins to take in her surroundings. Things seemed beautiful and serene, just another forest but for the warning of the owl.

Whit called to Artellen several times but he seemed not to hear her over his swimming. She waded deeper into the water, swimming when she could no longer touch the bottom, and began to follow him to the opposite side.
Whit
Whit

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Wed 26 Oct 2011, 6:52 am

Artellen collapsed on the shore and took a few moments to catch his breath. He couldn't quite remember what had happened. They had both been sitting by a small pool of water, resting, and then they had woken up in the middle of a lake. Artellen sat up, his heart racing. Where was Whitney? He heard the sound of splashing and when he looked out over the lake he saw someone swimming towards him.

"Whitney!" Artellen called out.

He got up and waded into the water. When Whitney was close enough he helped her out of the water and onto the grassy shore.

"Are you okay? Do you know what happened?"

Artellen noticed that Whitney no longer carried his wounds.
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Whit Wed 26 Oct 2011, 8:45 pm

"I'm fine," Whit replied "I just had a vision though. An owl told me that we need to find Tray; he's supposed to be in the middle of the forest. Oh, and this forest is magic and full of terrible creature that are most likely going to try and kill us."

Whit, too, had noticed that the wounds were gone.

"At least they've taken the time to patch me up before I'm killed by magical, human-hating creatures," she smiled wryly at Artellen. "I guess there's only one choice now because I don't think we can go back through the lake."
Whit
Whit

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Sat 29 Oct 2011, 9:12 pm

"So Prince Tray is here. I don't know this forest at all so I am not sure how we are going to find the center. Did the owl say anything about finding him?"

Something moving at the edge of the trees nearest to them caught Artellan's eye. There was a girl standing within the shade of the trees and she seemed to be waving them over.

"Whitney, there's somebody over there and I think she wants to talk to us."
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Whit Wed 08 Feb 2012, 8:52 pm

Whit eyed the girl cautiously. She knew better that to blindly trust people here. Things were not always what they seemed. However, it was hard not to trust a child. They couldn't just stand here all day. Whit walked over to the tree-shade and waited to hear what the girl would say.
Whit
Whit

Back to top Go down

Post  FATE Wed 08 Feb 2012, 9:54 pm

Steel Magic - Page 4 The_Crow__s_Song_by_InertiaK
(The crows are not present.)

The girl looks to be in her late teens. She waits for Whitney and Artellen to enter the shade of the trees before speaking.

"Whitney of the Four, I am honored. The Guardian of the Forest came to me in a dream and told me to find you here. I am to be your guide."

"Who are you? What is your name?" Artellen asked, stepping forward.

The girl took a step back, as if frightened, though when she speaks her voice is level, "I should be asking you the same thing, for The Guardian did not speak of another. I am a Resident of this forest, The Guardian is my Keeper. As for my name it is Constant."

"I have been traveling with Whitney for some time now and I serve to protect her as a soldier of Minst. I am sorry if I caused any offense."

Constant did not say anything in response but instead turned to Whitney, "Do you understand where it is we are going?"
FATE
FATE
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum